Technological evolution coupled with owners’ on-going demand for more effective processes resulting in better, faster, less costly and less adversarial construction projects are driving change in the construction industry. Change that is revolutionary in nature; change that is transforming the design and construction industries.
Hanson Bridgett’s attorneys are at the cutting edge of industry transformative developments in design and construction, such as Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IPD). BIM is the use of parametric, intelligent databases that not only can use 3D design tools to characterize existing architectural and engineering design, but can be used to explore and manage the construction process, energy optimization, sustainable construction, cost, and facility management. IPD is a new model for team building and risk allocation among owner, architect, engineer and contractor to align interests as a means of achieving project success.
Current best practices for complex projects strongly suggest the use of IPD methods and BIM. The Construction Users Roundtable (CURT) White Papers 1202 and 1003 as well as studies by the Construction Industry Institute, AIA, ASHRAE and others cite IPD and BIM as keys to better quality, efficiency and sustainability. Major public and private owners are adopting these approaches. In the health field, many hospitals are implementing projects using IPD including Lean Project Delivery. We have been at the forefront of IPD and BIM development and have had a major role in developing the leading industry standards relating to both issues.
- Consultation regarding use of IPD
- Consultation regarding use of BIM
- Lead IPD Workshops pre-contract and for contract negotiation
- Preparation of IPD Agreements and related legal documents
- Serve as project counsel providing legal services and advice to project team
- Serve as project facilitator assisting team in managing IPD project
- Serve as counsel to party in an IPD project
Industry Affiliations and Organizational Memberships
- American College of Construction Lawyers
- American Institute of Architects California Council (AIACC)
- American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE)
- Design Build Institute of America (DBIA)
- Founding Member Center for Innovation in Design and Construction
- Lean Construction Institute
- San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
- U.S. Green Building Council, Northern California Chapter